Friday, January 15, 2010

Coming to appreciate what I thought I appreciated

Wow what a way to come to appreciate what you have but don’t have. What I mean by that is that I’ve always appreciated what I’ve had due to the fact that I’ve lived outside the country in my life a few times so I’ve come to know that we as Americans are blessed, but I think we can become complacent with what we have if we’re not careful.


 

 

 
When I was a child I lived with my family in various countries in South America and then again when I was 19 I moved to Venezuela for two years. I came to appreciate the simple things in life that we enjoy in the U.S. such as tap water that you can drink, orderly and respectful drivers (excluding as a whole all of New York City), values, and food that won’t give you the heebee geebees. But having lived again in the U.S. for the past 20 years with a maximum of 3 days at any one point being out of the country, I believe that there are things that I again started to take for granted.

 
Why do I say this?

 
Last night I landed in Dammam, Saudi Arabia as a new arrival into the Kingdom. I took a job here as a Leadership Coach for the Saudi Electricity Company. The walk from the plane to the exit of the airport with my companions and colleagues was the longest walk I’ve ever had. When I got to my temporary living arrangements I realized some things can’t be hidden. When I went out today to various meetings and appointments, I wondered how long before I can be very open about me. So without giving more information, I want to share with you some of the things that I’ve come to appreciate in the last 24 hours that I thought I appreciated but realized I either had lost appreciation or had allowed it to become dull and hidden.

I appreciate more than ever:

 
  • The US immigration and naturalization services and agents
  • Good plumbing and clean sewer systems
  • The freedom to be out in the open about life
  • People who truly value their spouses, children and extended families
  • Courteous and respectful language
  • Hug and kisses from my kids when I’m feeling down
  • The ability to reach out and feel my best friend and wife next to me
  • People who say what they mean and mean what they say
  • A good solid, comfortable bed
  • Clean air
  • People who you can know at a glance

 These are just some of the things that in the past 24 hours I’ve come to re-appreciate more than I thought.

  
I guess what I’m saying is stop and smell the roses a bit more and take a moment and look around to see what you really have and then thank God that you have it. If you don’t believe in God then just give thanks to nature or to Karma or just simply pay it forward.

 
Till next time

5 comments:

Maplemusketeer said...

Great post Ev! I know what you mean about the gift of perspective that travel graces us with. I lived in South Africa and Guatemala for 3 months each when I worked for Canadian Mennonite University. Twas a great experience for myself and the students I was in charge of. You come back much the wiser with a better ability to see what you didn't before.

Strength through the hard times my friend, they make the other times that much better.

Keep up the writings! I like! I like! :D

Jordan
ps.. I have an old blog kicking around.. if you're bored give'r a read.. probably some thoughts you'll find interesting, especially the older stuff when I was really doing alot of wrasslin/thinking bout stuff ;)

North Long Lake Living said...

Hey Evan,

Great comments Evan. I am happy to here that you are back to work doing what you love. I enjoy reading your blogs and FB postings throughout the year. Take care ovet there!

Joe

Robert Smith said...

Sounds like your on an amazing adventure. I can only imagine what it is like being in a culture like that. You are right, it is suprising the things we dont really need to have to survive.

I will save your blog address and keep up with your advenures.

Tiff said...

Hey EV, it's been a while. Just read your blog. Didn't know you took a job in Saudi. Awesome! I just moved to Japan last month to teaching English at some private language schools. Anyway, keep up with your writing. It is what keeps me reflective since I am constantly on sensory overload in my new environment. It's exciting but it takes time to digest it all, if you know what I mean.
Cheers,
Tiffani

Unknown said...

Hi Evan-Good to here how things are going. Sounds like Rio looks pretty good right about now :). This will be a great experience for you in more ways than you know right now. If anyone can suceed it will be you. Keep writing it will help.